How to choose the Right Animation Studio
So, you have your project scripted out, and ideas are flooding your brain. Now what? Well, looking for the perfect animation studio can be a complicated process. There are many to choose from and finding one to help you represent your brand correctly isn’t easy. It’s best to err on the side of caution and research what you need to know before moving forward.
What to Look For
- Portfolio: This is, by far the first thing to look for. It is a reflection of a studios company, and their videos will clue you in on what they can offer and do for you.
- The number of projects the studio has done: This may seem odd, but it is essential to check out their video completion rates. Experience is everything, and a wide selection of completed projects shows a company’s tenure in the business.
- Details are in the production: Before you close a deal with any animation studio, pay attention to all the features used in their production. The video needs to have created a specific connection between viewers and the brand. Ask if is it engaging, is the message clear, did it keep my interest?
- Style: Are the studio’s drawings original? Consistency is excellent but it needs a form of compatibility with your brand or project.
- The Demo Reel: Not every studio will have one, but it never hurts to ask. Look at it for quality, complex scenes, smart and stylistic transitions, camera movement, scene selection, etc. Keep in mind that many demo reels may have collaborative work on them so ask to see which ones are from the studio you are currently looking at.
- Passion in their work: If someone loves what they do, it’ll show in their body language, and you’ll hear it in their words. The more passionate a person is the more fantastic things they’ll create. They’ll be motivated to not only take a job but help you explore all the avenues needs to bring your project to life.
- The voiceover quality: Animation style isn’t enough as a good voiceover is paramount as well. The tone should match the video content.
- Communication is vital: An animation studio should understand their client’s vision. Before you sign any contract, you should make sure they’re responding to all your questions promptly. Promptness is excellent but a company that lets you actively participate in all stages of production is worth their weight in gold.
- Are there any feedback from past clients: Check out reviews and ratings along with any testimonials. A reliable company will readily provide this information.
- The importance of your budget: When dealing with an animation studio, budget is the most crucial factor when it comes to signing a contract and moving forward. Find one that’ll work with you but not skip any steps.
Your project is dear to you and could very well be the culmination of years of work. Finding an animation studio is hard, but putting in the necessary steps will help you find the right one for your work. Ask questions, and take your time. The proper studio may be right in front of you.